LONDONS CHANGING RIVERSCAPE
 
Introduction

In 1937 the Port of London Authority commissioned a continuous photographic panorama of both riverbanks of the Thames from London Bridge to Greenwich which survived in the PLA archive and became part of their collection in the Museum of London.
The 1937 PLA panorama came to the public eye in ‘London’s Lost Riverscape’ a book by Chris Elmers and Alex Werner in the late 1980s. Three photographers, Charles Craig, Graham Diprose and Mike Seaborne formed London’s Found Riverscape Partnership, with the aim of revisiting the 1937 panorama for the millennium.
In 1997, LFRP made a new panorama using 6cm x 17cm colour transparency film and also shot on 5” x 4” Black and white sheet film because of concerns about the long term archival durability and permanence of colour film. In 2000, LFRP published a book ‘London’s Riverscape Lost and Found’ with additional new text by Chris Elmers and Alex Werner and a foreword by Ken Livingstone.
In 2007 LFRP were invited to make a new screen based version of the panorama to be shown in the Museum of London’s new City Galleries opening in 2011. The Port of London Authority sponsored LFRP to make a new 2008 panorama as part of their Centenary Celebrations for March 2009 and Frances Lincoln agreed to publish a new hardback book ‘Londons Changing Riverscape’.